Destination Victoria Memorial



Red breasted Parakeet


Common Myna
Rose Ringed Parakeet
Asian Pied Starling
Cattle Egret and common crow
Yellow footed Pigeon  and Parakeet
Blue Throated Barbet


 My recent trip to kolkata left me with few unexpected surprises. The stark contrast of the day to day life out there from the one out in Bangalore was expected but to see friends of the feathered kind galore amidst of the harsh life in a metropolitan city left me in a state of amazement. The first morning in this city was the best i had in a long time. Though we were staying in the heart of the city, we were woken to chirps of hundreds of sparrows. It was a bitter sweet moment as i was enjoying the wake up call, i also recalled that the sparrows of Bangalore have almost completely disappeared. I wish sparrows would come back to Bangalore and feel at home like they do in Kolkata

The second morning in Kolkata just got better. We decided to visit Victoria memorial gardens. I had no clue that it is bird watcher's paradise- a heaven on earth. I wished the morning could last forever considering the variety of birds we spotted in the short time we were out there. I really wonder why we don't spot so many birds like this in Cubbon park or Lalbagh. I  want to know what kolkata is doing that bangalore is not. I salute you kolkatans for being true to nature.

Location: Kolkata, West Bengal,India
Date of travel: March  2012

Tip: Dawn/ Early morning is the best time for catching birds!
Must do: Visit Victoria memorial Gardens.
First: Spot birds never seen before.
The travel connection: Bird watching

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destination Great Rift Valley

Destination Aihole

Destination Punakha Dzong