Destination Allepey

In midst of a stressed lifestyle, I set upon planning my trip to Allepey. I was really surprised to see all trains booked though I had sat down to book the tickets one month before the planned trip. With some permutations and combinations I managed to get the onward and return tickets around the time I wanted.



 I loved the fact that the resorts at Alappuzha (Alleppey) are about 10 kms from the train station. You can take one of the pre paid autos to reach the resort. I had narrowed upon kayaloram heritage lake resort keeping my budget in mind. This is a quaint little resort of just 12 rooms in well manicured grounds with swimming pool. I loved the heritage buildings or Tharavads (ancient Kerala houses). The Tharavads have been painstakingly re-assembled from the original, using only wood, bricks and tiles. Even most door hinges are wood. A unique feature of these Tharavads is the bathrooms with open to sky roofs, offering you a communion with nature.




















































As this was a “get back my zeal” holiday, I spent all my time by the waterfront or on the hammock with just enough break to have scrumptious meals at their restaurant. The orchids, butterflies and of course the birds just made this a perfect destination. It was flock of insistent crows that broke the calmness of the place. Also the fact that they were filling up the pool with lake water stopped me from using the facility. I also went on the legendary boat ride along the backwaters which did keep its promise.

 

So would I do it again? Of course, but there are so many places in this world to explore that it might be sometime before I come back to this place.

Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Date of travel: September, 2010

Tip: Always check where the pool water came from.
Must do: Back water Cruise
First: Use an open air western bathroom while it rains with birds chirping in the background. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destination Great Rift Valley

Destination Aihole

Destination Punakha Dzong