Destination Munnar

I always heard this hill station being mentioned with a lot of excitement. I was very eager to reach the place and experience it first hand. But first a long 4 hour journey through hot and humid Cochin had to be made from Allepey. I waited and waited for the amazing drive I had been told about. A long drive but it all started with two amazing water falls:Cheeyapara and valara. Since I was traveling at the end of the monsoons, both the falls were at their best.



With new vigor I carried on till I hit on the rolling hills with tea gardens. Behold, I had reached Munnar!! A sight for the soothing eyes. Yes the drive through tea gardens is one of the good drives one can do in India






















 We stayed at a home stay “Olive brook”. This place had got very good reviews on trip advisor but I felt it could have been better. The only great thing about the place  was it felt like i was  in an aviary. I could hear the constant chirping of many birds, sighted some including the evasive Malabar whistling Thrush. Hear the bird at this link to figure out why it is called whistling thrush.
http://www.indiabirds.com/HearTheBird/Default.asp?StrSubmit=true&strdisplaybirdVal=672





















Munnar has its share of view points, dams, lakes, national parks which aren’t really worth mentioning about. This is a place you want to come to when you want to be in amidst nature for casual treks and relaxation. I would recommend small boutique hotels with good views for this kind of stay.

Location: Munnar, Kerala
Date of travel: September 2010

Tip: Always include food in your home stay package. Otherwise you end up paying through your pocket.
Must do: Drive through Tea Gardens
First: Follow the whistle and spot the whistling thrush

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destination Great Rift Valley

Destination Aihole

Destination Punakha Dzong